Corn rice is one of my favorite summer dishes to make. It's simple and full of summer flavors. I like to cook with my cold-infused Kombu and Shiitake Mushroom Dashi, so I just let the dashi infuse half-day to overnight in the fridge and it's ready to use. This dish is completely vegan, but you can cook with your choice of other stock (kombu & bonito dashi, chicken stock, etc.), too. For this recipe, I also added a packet of 16 Multi Mixed Grains (it's so good), but if you would like to make it without it, you can reduce the amount of the dashi by a tablespoon or so. To add some kick to the dish, I like adding the Kanzuri Yuzu Sauce to the dish. You can top the rice with a small amount of the sauce or mix it in to the rice to enjoy. It's quite addictive.
Double-lid donabe rice cooker, Kamado-san (3 rice-cup size)
4 - 5
- 2 rice-cups (360 ml) short grain rice, rinsed
- 1 packet (1.1 oz/ 30 g) 16 multi mixed grains (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) kombu and shiitake mushroom dashi (keep the shiitake)
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 dry shiitake mushrooms (caps only) used for making kombu and shiitake mushroom dashi (above), thinly-sliced
- kernels from 2 ears medium-size corn
- Thinly-sliced shiso leaves, for garnish
- Kanzuri yuzu sauce, for serving (optional)
- Combine the rice, multi mixed grains, dashi, sake, sea salt, and sesame oil in Kamado-san. Let the rice soak for 20 minutes.
- Spread the shiitake over the rice, followed by the corn, in even layers.
- Cover Kamado-san with both lids and cook over medium-high heat for 13 - 15 minutes, or until 2 - 3 minutes after the steam starts puffing out of the top lid.
- Turn off the heat and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and gently fluff the contents with a spatula. Serve into individual bowls and garnish with some sliced shiso leaves. If you like, you can top the rice with a small amount of the Kanzuri yuzu sauce, or mix it in to the rice to enjoy.
Once the dish is done, fluff the contents gently.
It smells so good.
Enjoy with some Kanzuri yuzu sauce, if you like.
About the measurements used in our recipes
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml