How to take care of your donabe
With proper care, your donabe can last for a very long time.
- To clean the donabe, use mild soap with lukewarm water. Once cleaned, make sure to dry the bottom of the pot by placing the bottom part upside down to avoid the possible mildew to grow on the pot when it's stored. Also make sure that the bottom is dry before you set your donabe over heat. If the bottom is wet, the moisture can be absorbed and expand in the porous base and cause possible cracking when heated.
- Leftover should not be kept in the donabe overnight. If you have any leftover, transfer it to another container.
- If the inside of the donabe has a small crack(s), or the donabe is leaking, repeat the seasoning procedure (How to season Donabe) again.
- If the food smell stays inside of the donabe, fill the donabe with the water to 80% and a small scoop of green tea leaves and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- For the moldy smell, fill the donabe with the water to 80% and a few table spoons of vinegar (neutral kind) and simmer for about 10 minutes. Then, repeat the seasoning procedure (How to season Donabe) again.