This is an easy cold-steep vegan dashi (Japanese stock). All you need to do is just combine the kombu (dry kelp) and dry shiitake mushrooms in a bowl and pour water. After infusing overnight, the rich vegan dashi is ready.
About 2 cups (500 ml)
- 1 piece (about 2" x 2" or 5 cm x 5 cm), kombu (dry kelp)
- 2 medium dry shiitake mushrooms, quickly rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) water
- Combine the kombu and dry shiitake in a bowl.
- Add the water and leave for overnight in refrigerator.
- Remove the kombu and shiitake. The dashi is ready.
Tips: After the infusion, kombu and shiitake can be kept in the water and heated together for even richer dashi. Shiitake can be sliced (after discarding the stem) and cooked in a soup, etc.
After overnight, the dashi is ready.
Both the shiitake and kombu after infusing are also good to cook with the dashi and taste so good.
About the measurements used in our recipes
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
1 cup = 240 ml1
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml