Summer in LA is quite hot, and this super simple watermelon & yuzu beverage is a perfect seasonal drink to make me feel so refreshed. It's all natural (just watermelon, yuzu juice, and mint), takes no time to prepare, and always so tasty. When I serve this as an aperitif in the evening, I like to add a splash of shochu (Japanese spirit) or some Champagne.
Any amount you like
- Fresh yuzu juice
- Mint leaves
- Your choice of alcohol such as Japanese shochu, Champagne, or vodka (Optional)
- Blend watermelon (frozen or fresh) in a blender to make juice (or slush).
- Pour the juice into a glass, and add some yuzu juice.
- Mash some mint in suribachi and surikogi (Japanese mortar and pestle), and add to the juice.
- The drink is ready. If you like the alcoholic version, add some shochu or your choice of alcohol.
Mash some mint leaves for the refreshing touch.
I l love how the yuzu juice add very aromatic tartness to the drink. Add some ice cubes, if you like.
Here's a frozen "slush" version. It's very good, too.
About the measurements used in our recipes
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml