Fast delicious chicken stock, and you can even eat the chicken
Classic-style donabe (medium size)
About 4 cups (1000 ml)
- 1 pound (450 g) chicken wings (mid section with tip)
- 1 teapoon salt
- 1 Negi (Japanese green onion), green part only (can be substituted with green parts from 2 scallions)
- 1 knob ginger, cut into 3 to 4 slices
- 6 black pepper corns
- 5 cups (1,200 ml) water
- In a bowl, combine the chicken wings and salt and mix well by hand. Cover and let the chicken marinade for 30 minutes overnight. Pat dry.
- Combine the chicken with the rest of the ingredients in donabe.
- Cover with lid and set over medium-high heat. As soon as the broth starts boiling, turn down the heat to simmer. Skim as necessary.
- Cover the surface with a drop lid ("otoshibuta") or line with a piece of parchment paper. Cover with lid again and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest for 20-30 minutes. *The resting time will help further deepen the flavor of the stock.
Transfer the chicken wings to a bowl and save for another use. Chicken wings are so tender and tasty, too. Strain the stock.
- If you want to make extra-rich collagen-packed chicken stock, continue to simmer for 4 hours. Replenish with more water as necessary to avoid the stock from getting reduced too low. Chicken wings used for the extra-rich stock should be discarded, as they become quite exhausted after simmering for a long time.
About the measurements used in our recipes
For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
Other conversions (US to metric measures)
1 cup = 240 ml1
inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml