Highly-praised Thick Dried Shiitake from Kyushu
Donko Dried Shiitake by TakeshitaTO-106
DONKO - Highly-praised Thick Dried Shiitake by Takeshita
The journey of their shiitake mushrooms starts in the forests of Kyushu where farmers grow the mushrooms with great care on sawtooth oak logs. The Donko shiitake mushrooms grow slowly during the winter, which allows them to become thicker. This produces a mushroom that, before drying, has a nice round umbrella shape, is thick and feel heavy for their size. After harvesting, they are dried slowly over 20 hours at 60°C. The white cracks on top of the dried mushroom is called the flower and is a sign that the mushroom was grown in a good environment.
Dried shiitake are such an important piece in Japanese cuisine because they add so much umami. Takehisa’s are some of the best, because their Donko (thick) Dried Shiitake pack a wonderful punch of that earthy umami because they are grown in lower temperatures during the cooler seasons. People typically like the donko type better because it grows longer before harvest, therefore more flavorful. This make for a good flavor and smell. These makes a good dashi, boiled dishes and soup base. After they are re-hydrated, they are perfect to eat, so do not throw away. Store in a cool, dry, dark place.
Comments by Naoko (Mrs. Donabe)
Donko is one of the essential pantry items in my home and I am extremely picky about its quality. This donko is so meaty and flavorful and I love it so much. To rehydrate, I normally soak them in water overnight in refrigerator. The soaking water naturally can be used as dashi. I like to cook it with hijiki, tofu, etc. for stew, or I also make hot pot with it.
Mrs. Donabe's Recipe SuggestionsKombu and Shiitake Dashi
Classic Chicken and Root Vegetable Stew
Hatcho Miso Udon Hot Pot
- Net weight: 1.75 oz | 50 g
- Ingredients: Shiitake Mushrooms
- Producer: Takeshita
- Origin: Kyushu, Japan
Usage & Care
- Store in a cool, dry, dark place
- Usually ships out in-stock items within 3 business days of order.
- We use FedEx, USPS Priority Mail, or USPS First Class Mail to ship our products, depending on the size and weight of the package.
- Read about the shipping information and terms in our Customer Service Page.
- Free shipping with purchase of $375 or more! (Within Continental US only. Total purchase amount to qualify excludes free shipping offer items.)
- This item is not available to ship outside of Continental US.
- Please note if this item is included in your order for the shipment outside of Continental US, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to proceed to check out.
- This item is not available to ship outside of the US.
- Please note if this item is included in your order, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to proceed to check out.