They taste really special when smoked in donabe
Donabe smoker, "Ibushi Gin" (large)
5 as a small course
- 1 package (8 oz or 250 g) Camembert cheese in a wooden case
- 10 walnut halves
Ohter things you need:
- a piece of aluminum foil
- a small handful (about 1/3 oz or 8 g) of smoke chips
- Remove Camembert from the case, and discard the wrapping paper. Put Camembert on a piece of foil and wrap so that only the top surface is not covered. Set it back in one half of the case.
- Line the bottom of "Ibushi Gin" with a piece of aluminum foil. Spread the smoke chips so that they make a ring shape. Make sure the foil is tightly attached to the bottom. Set the middle or upper level grate in "Ibushi Gin". Arrange the Camembert in the center of the grate and put the walnuts around the cheese.
- Set "Ibushi Gin" over high heat (medium-high heat for the high calorie burner) on gas stove. Once the chips start smoking (about 7-8 minutes), cover with lid, and fill the rim with water. Continue to heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let "Ibushi Gin" stand for 10 minutes (with lid on).
- Uncover and transfer Camembert and the walnuts into a serving plate. Serve immediately with crackers, honey, etc.
Gooey smokey cheese and walnuts are very nice together.
About the measurements used in our recipes
For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
Other conversions (US to metric measures)
1 cup = 240 ml1
inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml