All-purpose seasoning with full umami flavor
About 1 1/2 cups (360 ml)
- 6 oz (180 g) rice koji
- 2 oz (60 g) salt
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) water
- If starting with pressed-type rice koji, in a large bowl, first break by hand to loosen the grains.
- By using both hands, rub the grains for 1 - 2 minutes until slightly fragrant.
- Add the salt and continue to rub like massaging the salt into the rice for another 1 - 2 minutes. Add the water and stir.
- Transfer the mixture into a container. Cover lightly with lid. Leave at a room temperature for 7-10 days to complete the fermentation. Meanwhile, stir the mixture with a spoon once a day for even fermentation.
Only three ingredients to start. Massage the rice koji with salt by hand nicely before adding water.
Once water is added and stirred, transfer to a container and cover loosely.
- Once it’s ready, shio-koji can be kept in a tightly-sealed container and refrigerated for about a couple of months.
- Shio-koji can be used in place of salt.
About the measurements used in our recipes
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
1 cup = 240 ml1
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml