Simple asparagus with great flavors
Tagine-style donabe, "Fukkura-san" (large)
2 - 3 as part of a multi-course meal
- 10 oz asparagus, hard bottom trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 piece preserved lemon, minced (*each piece is 1/8 of medium-size lemon)
- Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Peel about 1/3 end of each asparagus by using a peeler.
- Place the asparagus in the skillet of "Fukkura-san" and add the olive oil. Toss the asparagus by hand so they are evenly coated with the oil, and arrange them in a single layer.
- Cover with lid and set over medium heat. Cook for about 7 minutes or until the asparagus is crisp tender. Meanwhile, turn the asparagus 1-2 times.
- Remove from the heat and uncover at the table. Garnish the asparagus with the preserved lemon and some Parmigiano Reggiano plus some pepper.
About the measurements used in our recipes
For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
Other conversions (US to metric measures)
1 cup = 240 ml1
inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml