Asparagus pieces are neatly wrapped in thinly-sliced (shabu-shabu slice) pork bellies. After they are steamed for just a few minutes, the pork becomes so juicy while the asparagus retains nice crisp tender texture. Enjoy with the Miso-Vinegar Sauce, which has the beautiful fruity nuance from the natural Fig Vinegar. This sauce is also great with a wide variety of dishes including dumplings, shabu shabu, etc. If you don't have the fig vinegar, you can substitute it with rice vinegar and it would be nice, too. For other variations, you can switch the asparagus with green beans, enoki mushrooms, or even tofu.
Tagine-style donabe, Fukkura-san (Llarge)
2 - 3
(Miso & Fig Vinegar Sauce)
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 1 tablespoon dashi or water
- 1 tablespoon fig vinegar (can substitute with rice vinegar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon thinly-sliced dry chili
- 3 - 4 leaves from green cabbage, cut each into 4 - 6 pieces
- 12 or so medium-thick asparagus, hard bottom end trimmed
- 8 - 10 oz pork belly (shabu shabu thin slices)
- Get the Mushi Nabe ready.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Peel about 1/3 end of each asparagus by using a peeler. Cut each in half crosswise.
- To make a roll, spread a pork slice and place an asparagus piece so the bottom end is on the front end (closer to you) of the pork slice. Start rolling tightly at an slight angle so the other end will end by almost covering tip. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
- To steam, spread the cabbage on the steam grate of the Mushi Nabe. Cover with lid and steam for a minute or so. Uncover and spread the rolls in a single layer. If all the rolls cannot fit, save some for the next batch.
- Cover and steam for 3 - 4 minutes or until all the meat is cooked through.
- Serve with the dipping sauce.
Once the water in Mushi Nabe starts boiling, spread some cabbage leaves on the grate, and arrange the pork and asparagus rolls in one layer.
After just a few minutes of steaming, the rolls are ready to serve.
Enjoy with the Miso-Vinegar Sauce.
About the measurements used in our recipes
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml