Autumn's seasonal treat
Double-lid donabe rice cooker, "Kamado-san" (3 rice-cup size)
4 - 5
- 2 rice-cups (360 ml) short grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/3 cups (320 ml) dashi stock
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons light color soy sauce ("usukuchi shoyu")
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 oz (180 g) matsutake mushrooms, cleaned (*) and thinly sliced
*To clean matsutake, use a damp paper towel to wipe off the dust. Shave off the very thin layer of the hard 3 oz (100 g) cooked gingko nuts ("ginnan"), optional
- some chopped mitsuba herb
- some yuzu zest
- In "Kamado-san", combine the rinsed rice, sake, soy sauce, salt, and dashi stock. Let the rice soak in liquid for 20 minutes.
- Spread the matsutake mushrooms evenly over the rice. Add the gingko nuts.
Matsutake mushrooms are sliced.
- Cover "Kamado-san" with both lids and cook over medium-high heat for 13-15 minutes, or until 2-3 minutes after the steam starts puffing out of the top lid.
- Turn off the heat and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and gently toss the rice with a rice paddle. Garnish with some chopped mitsuba and yuzu zest to serve.
About the measurements used in our recipes
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
1 cup = 240 ml1
inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml