Bright and sweet-tangy ripe kumquat makes the beautiful liqueur in very easy steps. All you need is the patience, as once the ingredients are assembled, it takes several months for it to be ready to drink.
5-qt (5-liter) glass jar, sterilized
About 2 qt (2 liters)
- 2.2 - 2.5 lbs (1 - 1.5 kg) kumquats
- 1 lb or a little more (450 - 500 g) crystal sugar
- 1.8 qt (1.8 liters) neutral shochu (white liqueur) (25 - 30% al)
- Rinse the kumquats. Pick any stem's end attached to the skin and discard. Pat dry the kumquats very well.
- Put 1/3 of the kumquats into the jar, followed by 1/3 of the crystal sugar. Repeat twice more.
- Pour the shochu into the jar.
- Cover tightly and let it rest in a cool area (avoid direct sunlight) for 6 months.
- Remove the kumquats and enjoy the drink.
Suggestions to enjoy kumquat liqueur:
*On the rocks
*Mix with sparkling water
*Mix with fruit juice
Get the ingredients ready.
Make the layers of the kumquats and crystal sugar.
The mixture will be rested for the next 6 month or longer until it's ready.
About the measurements used in our recipes
For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
Other conversions (US to metric measures)
1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml