This is a quick appetizer/ side dish which requires little time for prepping. Toban cooks vegetables so effectively, and they become nicely charred. When the Smoked Soy Sauce is drizzled over the okra, it sizzles and brings irresistible aroma. Finish with a generous mound of Shaved Katsuobushi, and sprinkle some Shichimi Togarashi. The katsuobushi will dance slowly on the okra and make a very appetizing presentation. I love making this dish with okra during summer, or asparagus is also great.
2 - 3 as a small dish
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz okra, cut in half diagonally for large pieces
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons smoked soy sauce
- Shaved katsuobushi, for serving
- Shichimi togarashi, for serving
- Combine the olive oil and okra in a toban. Set over medium high heat. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes or until the okra pieces are lightly browned. Meanwhile, stir sometimes.
- Turn off the heat. Drizzle the smoked soy sauce and stir again.
- Sprinkle generous amount of katsuobushi, and some shichimi togarashi. Serve immediately.
Olive oil and okra are set in the toban.
Once the okra is lightly charred, drizzle some smoked soy sauce.
Finish with shaved katsuobushi and shichimi togarashi. So good.
About the measurements used in our recipes
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml