Chinese-style spicy rice dish
Double-lid donabe rice cooker, "Kamado-san" (3 rice-cup size)
4 - 5
- 10 oz (300 g) chicken thigh (boneless and skinless), cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 rice-cups (360 ml) short grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons (350 ml) Chinese-style chicken stock
- 3-4 medium-size shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Some chopped cilantro and scallion
For the marinade
- 2 tablespoons Chinese fermented black beans (can be found at dry pantry section of Asian grocery stores)
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon raw brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon thinly-sliced dry red chili (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon potato starch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- In a bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the marinade. Add the chicken and mix well by hand.Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In "Kamado-san", combine the rice and the chicken stock. Let the rice soak in liquid for 20-30 minutes.
- Spread the shiitake mushrooms evenly over the rice.
Add the chicken with the marinade and spread evenly on top.
- Cover "Kamado-san" with both lids and cook over medium-high heat for 13-15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff the rice with a rice paddle. Serve into individual bowls and garnish with some chopped cilantro and scallion.
About the measurements used in our recipes
For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
Other conversions (US to metric measures)
1 cup = 240 ml1
inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml