Here's the simple grilled meat recipe and tips for using "Yaki Yaki San"
Iga-yaki Grill, "Yaki Yaki San"
3 - 4
- 12 oz (360 g) boneless beef short ribs ("kalbi"), thinly-sliced
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds, roasted
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion
- vegetable oil for the grill top
- thinly-sliced scallion
- daikon sprouts
- lemon wedges
- Season the meat lightly with salt and pepper (just one side is fine).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dipping sauce. Set aside.
- Set a portable gas stove on a dining table. Set "Yaki Yaki San" on the stove, and pour water into the reservoir up to about 80% full.
- Heat "Yaki Yaki San" over high heat for 5 minutes. Turn down the heat to medium.
- By using a brush or folded paper towel, rub the oil all over the grill top.
- Place the meat slices on the grill and cook until your desired doneness.
- As soon as the meat is ready, serve with the sauce or your choice of condiments.
Serving suggestion 1: Lightly dip the meat in the simple oil sauce.
Serving suggestion 2: Just squeeze some lemon over the meat.
Serving suggestion 3: Make your own lettuce wrap with above condiment(s) and scallion or daikon sprouts.
Meat is lightly seasoned with salt and pepper. Enjoy grilling. You can grill with mushrooms and vegetables, too.
- Addition of sweet rice (also called "mochi rice") gives the nice sticky texture to the dish. If you don’t have sweet rice, you can make the dish only with the short grain rice (so use 2 rice-cups of short grain rice).
About the measurements used in our recipes
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
1 cup = 240 ml1
inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml