From Hateruma Island, Okinawa by Murakami Shoten
Okinawan Crushed Black SugarTO-85
Robust Okinawan Black Sugar by Murakami Shoten
Okinawan Black Sugar, or kokuto, has an incredible depth of flavors and nuances compared to conventional brown sugar. It has a unique robust and savory quality, with an almost smoky, malt-like flavor. Enjoy experimenting with black sugar in your favorite desserts, beverages, or even savory dishes or sauces by substituting brown sugar with our black sugar.
Murakami Shoten, a 3rd generation and over 64-year old company, creates one of the best black sugars around the area. It is made in Hateruma Island, Japan's southernmost inhabited island and a region famous for its sugarcane production. The flavor of the sugar is determined by the species of sugarcane and the region it is grown in; Hateruma Island is considered to have the best black sugar and sugarcanes since Hateruma is a coral island, and produces a distinctive and richer sugarcane and thus, the ultimate black sugar.
They start with boiling sugarcane juice for hours until it becomes a black syrup. Next, they allow the syrup to cool and harden into dry sugar blocks they eventually crush into sugar.
Health Benefits of Black Sugar
Made in the 17th Century in Okinawa, Japan, black sugar has been prized for its signature complex taste and many health benefits.
Unlike refined white cane sugars, Okinawan Black Sugar contains many minerals, such as potassium, calcium, and iron, and has traditionally been used for many home remedies. For instance, many folks will add black sugar to ginger tea to relieve nausea, fatigue, or colds, or simply suck on the sugar to relieve painful menstrual cramps.
Mrs. Donabe's Recipe Suggestions
*Substitute brown sugar with black sugarJapanese Beef and Potato Stew
Japanese-style Simmered Kabocha
Classic Chicken and Root Vegetable Stew
Soy-Flavored Simmered Ground Chicken
Taro and Konnyaku Stew
Braised Chicken in Brown Rice Black Vinegar Sauce
Soy-Simmered Beef and Burdock
Tamari-Flavored Beef and Tofu Stew
Cold Ramen with Spicy Pork and Sesame Dipping Broth
Classic Japanese Chicken & Root Vegetables Stew
- Net weight: 1.1 lb | 500 g
- Ingredients: Cane Sugar
- Producer: Murakami Shoten
- Origin: Hateruma Island, Okinawa, Japan
Usage & Care
- Store in a cool, dark place
- Usually ships out in-stock items within 3 business days of order.
- We use FedEx, USPS Priority Mail, or USPS First Class Mail to ship our products, depending on the size and weight of the package.
- Read about the shipping information and terms in our Customer Service Page.
- Free shipping with purchase of $375 or more! (Within Continental US only. Total purchase amount to qualify excludes free shipping offer items.)
- This item is not available to ship outside of Continental US.
- Please note if this item is included in your order for the shipment outside of Continental US, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to proceed to check out.
- This item is not available to ship outside of the US.
- Please note if this item is included in your order, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to proceed to check out.