Cute-size Donabe for a Variety of Purposes
Petite Donabe is a cute mini donabe, available in different colors. This donabe can be used for cooking over stove top, in microwave, or it can also be used as a serving bowl for individual-size dish, side dish, dipping sauce, etc. This donabe can make your dining happy and colorful.
Dashi-Rich Fluffy Egg with Cheese recipe by Naoko
True “Terroir” of Iga
Iga region, where this donabe is made, used to be the bed of Lake Biwa about 4 million years ago. The clay from this region is naturally highly heat-resistant and has been used for open-flame cooking for many hundreds of years. This clay consists of a high level of pre-historic fossilized microorganisms that leave the clay porous when fired. The porous body gives the donabe remarkable heat-retention ability.
Authentic Iga-yaki pottery by Nagatani-en
Iga-yaki (Iga-style) pottery is one of Japan’s most highly-regarded traditional ceramics and is said to have originated in Iga, Mie-Prefecture in late 7th Century. This donabe is made by Nagatani-en, a leading producer of authentic Iga-yaki pottery since 1832. At Nagatani-en, each donabe is made by hand with care and it takes about 2 weeks to produce an individual donabe. Nagatani-en’s Iga-yaki products have been loved by both professionals and home cooks in Japan.
Your donabe develops its character as it ages
As you use your donabe over and over, it develops character and that’s something to be welcomed.
- The very thin cracks could appear on the surface (glaze) of the donabe. It’s called “kannyu” in Japanese and the cracks run like veins. They are the naturally developed cracks on the glaze and won’t affect the function of the donabe.
- Once you start using the donabe, the bottom part starts to change its color and black spots (like burned spots) could appear. It’s also the part of developing the character and the donabe is safe to use. However, if the bottom part seems to get too black too quickly, the heat you use might be too high. In this case, we suggest that you use the donabe over lower heat level.
All the donabe and Iga-yaki products made by Nagatani-en are hand-crafted with care, so every piece is unique and no two pieces are identical. There are slight variations within the color/ shade, shape/ curve, and patterns, among pieces, and that makes each piece so special. Also under different lighting and angle, the actual color shade and nuance may also appear slightly different from the photos in the product page.
- Size: 4.3” diameter x 3.1” high (11 cm diameter x 8 cm high) – including lid
- Capacity: 3/4 cup (180 ml)
- Weight: 14 oz (0.4 kg)
Origin: Iga, Japan
Included in the package: Donabe (bowl and lid) and English instruction sheet.
Usage and Care
- Ideal for gas stove top use. This donabe is also suitable for microwave.
- Oven-safe (up to 500℉/ 250℃).
- Hand wash only.
- Seasoning is not necessary before the first use of this donabe.