Fudoh-gama is a small family-owned studio, situated in Toki, the heart of historic Mino-yaki pottery area in Gifu Prefecture. One of the specialties of Fudoh-Gama is Oribe style Mino-yaki earthenware, characterized by its iconic deep green glaze.
Mino-yaki Earthenware and Its Iconic Oribe Style
Mino-yaki earthenware is specialty pottery produced in the Mino Region (around current Toki City) of Gifu prefecture which began in the 7th century. Mino-yaki continues to adapt to modern lifestyles while preserving its history and tradition. One of the signature characteristics of Mino-yaki earthenware is its diversity. Mino-yaki does not adhere to a single form, as it has over 15 registered types of traditional handicraft in Japan. The best-known form is Oribe Ware, which was created by Oribe Furuta, a disciple of the influential tea ceremony master, Sen no Rikyu, at the beginning of the Edo Period in the 17th century.
Oribe Ware’s signature is its deep green glaze. The artists limit excessive decoration to express the identity of each product through beauty in simplicity. Fudoh-Gama aims to create pieces that embody both grace and boldness through their color and design.
Kushime-Oribe Kittate Teapot
This teapot blends the signature Oribe green glaze with the earthy tones of the natural clay. The rustic design and feeling of this teapot are a simple way to find and appreciate the subtle nuances in an otherwise daily activity of preparing tea.
- Size: 7.3" x 4" x 4.5" | 18 cm x 10 cm x 12 cm
- Capacity: 18 fl.oz | 500 ml
- Weight: 15 oz | 430 g
Material: Clay, Stainless Steel (the insert tea strainer)
Origin: Gifu, Japan
Usage and Care
- This product is not microwave-safe. Do not set the product on any other direct heat.
- Hand wash only. Make sure to dry completely before storing. This product is not dishwasher safe.
- Food should not be stored in the product, as the porous clay could absorb the moisture and smell of the contents over time.
- Avoid any sharp temperature change on the product, as it could cause cracking.
- Do not freeze the product, as it might crack.