By Fourth Generation Dashi Company in Kyoto
Jin Dashi Bags by UnenoMT13210
Premium Dashi Bags by Kyoto's Traditional Dashi Company
Uneno is a fourth-generation kombu and katsuobushi company based in Kyoto. They have been delivering premium quality ingredients for dashi soup stock to distinguished restaurants and eateries, selects and processes only top quality natural ingredients such as katsuobushi (smoked and dried bonito – the entire process of making takes about 1 year) from Kagoshima and kombu (Japanese kelp) from Hokkaido to match each restaurant’s order.
Jin Dashi Bags blend those ingredients into authentic dashi soup stock that can be used easily at home. Uneno is the first company who made dashi bags for quick dashi making and made them so popular in Japan. These dashi bags are not only very convenient for making quick dashi, but they can make the really elegant-flavor authentic dashi. All you need to do is steep the bag in simmering water for 5 minutes. (Read the steps in the Usage & Care tab). Additionally, you can cut open the bags and repurpose the top-quality ingredients for seasonings or even make your own furikake.
Jin Yellow and Jin Red - Two Kinds of Flavors
Jin Yellow and Jin Red are made from different blends of ingredients. While both kinds are good for all-purpose, you can choose which Jin to use according to your taste and/ or dishes you make.
Jin Yellow: Blend of two kinds of katsuobushi (dried and smoked bonito), shiitake, and kombu. This is a very elegant Kyoto-style dashi. Ideal for clear soup, miso soup, rice dish, light-simmered dish, etc.
Jin Red: Blend of three kinds of silver-skin fish (mackerel and sardine), shiitake and kombu. This dashi is quite rich flavor and ideal for miso soup, stew, soup noodle, etc.
(Comment by Naoko)
"Uneno's Jin is the only brand of dashi bags I use at home. While many dashi bags made by other brands contain additives and/ or lesser quality ingredients, Uneno focuses on using the carefully-selected high quality ingredients for the best flavor. I love using them not just because they are convenient, but more because the flavors are always so complex and perfect every time."
Mrs. Donabe's Recipe Suggestions
- Net weight: 0.25 oz × 18 packs | 7 g × 18 packs
- Ingredients: Katsuobushi (dried and smoked Bonito) from Kagoshima, Karebushi (aged Katsuobushi) from Kagoshima, Kombu (dried Kelp) from Hokkaido, and Dried Shiitake Mushroom from Oita
- Net weight: 0.25 oz × 17 packs | 7 g × 17 packs
- Ingredients: Dried Round Herring, Dried Mackerel, Dried Sardine, Kombu (dried Kelp) and Dried Shiitake Mushroom
Origin: Kyoto, Japan
Usage & Care
- Bring about 2 cups (500 ml) water to a boil in a sauce pan.
- Add one bag of Jin Dashi bag and steep for 4 – 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
Meanwhile, if you gently shake the bag with chopsticks in the simmering water, it would help more effective infusion of the flavors.
- The dashi is ready. You can either take out the bag or leave it in the dashi. Season as you like and ready to use for your dish.
- Store in a cool, dark place before open. Refrigerate after opening (tightly seal the package).
- Usually ships out in-stock items within 3 business days of order.
- We use FedEx, USPS Priority Mail, or USPS First Class Mail to ship our products, depending on the size and weight of the package.
- Read about the shipping information and terms in our Customer Service Page.
- Free shipping with purchase of $375 or more! (Within Continental US only. Total purchase amount to qualify excludes free shipping offer items.)
- This item is not available to ship outside of Continental US.
- Please note if this item is included in your order for the shipment outside of Continental US, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to proceed to check out.
- This item is not available to ship outside of the US.
- Please note if this item is included in your order, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to proceed to check out.