Hand-crafted, Hiba Wood Sushi Press by Yamacoh
Yamacoh from Gifu, Japan
Since 1972, Yamacoh Co. has sought to achieve unity between Japanese beauty and function. The Japanese word, youbi, translates to “functional beauty,” where the essential beauty of something is revealed through functional use.
Yamacoh woodenware products are made using Japanese woods such as Hinoki and Sawara (types of Japanese Cypress). The wood is known for its delicate lines and smooth surface. In the hands of skilled craftspeople, beauty and function come together.
Hiba Wood Sushi Press
This sushi press is designed to make beautiful oshizushi (pressed sushi). It's made of Japanese Hiba wood that has a natural soothing aroma. This particular wood is of high quality and contains natural anti-bacterial properties. This mold comes with cutting guides which help to make nicely-shaped, evenly-cut pieces every time.
Before Using for the First Time:
Before your very first use, seasoning the bowl with vinegar water is recommended, although it's not absolutely necessary. This will remove the bitterness of the wood.
1. Fill a bowl with 4 cups of lukewarm water and 2 - 3 tablespoons of vinegar (mix well).
2. Soak all pieces for 1 - 2 hours then rinse.
3. From then on, before each use, simply rinse and wipe the surface with a paper towel or cloth.
How to Use (Pressed Sushi):
1. Make sure the mold is moist and not completely dry. Set the bottom piece and frame on a work surface.
2. Fill the mold with sushi rice evenly. Wet the surface of the top wood press and press the rice.
3. Remove the top press, and use the knife guides to cut the rice. Gently remove from the mold to serve.
*You can decorate the rice with your choice of fillings or toppings. If you are making layers, press the rice after making each layer before covering with more layer(s).
Suggested Recipe: Pressed Smoked Salmon Sushi