Traditional Artisanal Dark Miso
Hatcho Miso by MaruyaMT24445
Traditional Naturally-Brewed and Aged Mame Miso
Maruya Hatcho Miso is a traditional Mame Miso, made with 100% local soybeans (no grains), resulting in a robust, intense, and umami-packed flavor, that is less sweet than conventional miso. Use it to make miso soup, donabe hot pot dishes, or even sauces for noodles, katsu (cutlet), or hamburg steak.
Applying traditional methods used since the start of their company in 1337, Maruya Hatcho Miso aims to preserve the traditional taste and culture of their miso. They first steam local soybeans, pack them into baseball-sized clumps, then dust them with koji, a type of rice culture to start the fermentation process, and leave it for four days. The mixture is then mixed with water and salt, then carefully packed in huge cedar barrels; workers will then flatten and press the mixture by foot to remove air bubbles. Finally, heavy river stones are arranged into pyramids on top of the lids of the barrels, and the miso is left to ferment for a little over 2 years.
Creating Artisanal Hatcho Miso Since 1337
Established in 1337, Maruya Hatcho Miso has a long history of traditions and stories imbued into their artisanal miso.
Based in Hatcho-machi (formerly known as Hacho Village and named accordingly since it was located a distance of 8-cho or "ha-cho" from Okazaki Castle), Maruya was located near major transportation routes, like the Tokaido Highway and Yahagi River. This allowed the company to easily obtain soybeans, salt from the Shioza (exclusive salt vendors), and pure water to create premium Hatcho Miso. It also allowed for easy transport of their finished products, helping the company to flourish. At the time, Maruya Hatcho Miso was even favored by the first Edo Shogun, Tokugawa Ieyasu, an avid health food connoisseur.
Mrs. Donabe's Recipe Suggestions
- Net weight: 10.5 oz | 300 g
- Ingredients: Soy bean, Salt, Water, Roasted Barley Powder, Seed Malt
- Producer: Maruya Hatcho Miso Co., Ltd
- Origin: Aichi, Japan
Usage & Care
- Store in a cool, dark place
- Refrigerate after opening
- Usually ships out in-stock items within 3 business days of order.
- We use FedEx, USPS Priority Mail, or USPS First Class Mail to ship our products, depending on the size and weight of the package.
- Read about the shipping information and terms in our Customer Service Page.
- Free shipping with purchase of $375 or more! (Within Continental US only. Total purchase amount to qualify excludes free shipping offer items.)
- This item is not available to ship outside of Continental US.
- Please note if this item is included in your order for the shipment outside of Continental US, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to proceed to check out.
- This item is not available to ship outside of the US.
- Please note if this item is included in your order, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to proceed to check out.