Made by 116-year-old Master Spice Blender
Stone Ground Asakura Sansho Powder by Yamatsu TsujitaTO-78
Founded in 1902 in Osaka Prefecture, Mr. Tsujita, the master blender of Yamatsu works with local farmers who grow Mountain Asakura Sansho and he himself goes to make sure that the quality of the harvest is good enough for his sansho powder. Most sansho circulated today is classified into two broad categories. One is Asakusa Sansho, mainly grown in Hyogo Prefecture, and the other is Grape Sansho, mainly grown in Wakayama Prefecture. The berries of Asakura Sansho are smaller than Grape Sansho, so Grape Sansho is mostly used as powdered spice, while Askura Sansho is used as whole spice. However, Yamatsu uses Asakura Sansho for its fresh and bright aroma. Because of its smaller size, it takes a lot of labor and time to grind, but Asakura Sansho’s beautiful aroma lasts longer than other species of sansho. Its beautiful green color is also characteristic of Asakura Sansho. Yamatsu has traditionally used millstone to grind the sansho instead of electric mills. If you use electric mills, a lot of heat is produced, which damages the beautiful aroma and color of sansho. That is why Yamatsu has stuck to the method of grinding sansho with millstone and that is the best way to derive the rich scent and delightful pungency of sansho. This pleasant spice pairs really well with meats, seafood and hotpot dishes as is, also very fun to make sansho salt for yourself (mix Sansho Powder with Salt by three to one).
"Sansho has always been an essential item in my pantry, and this Stone Ground Asakura Sansho is by far the most outstanding quality sansho I've tasted. This special sansho is bright green, has the fresh sweet aroma, and the flavor is so pure with the bright citrusy kick and spiciness. Simply amazing." - Naoko
Mrs. Donabe's Recipe Suggestions
Penne with Smoked Tasmanian Ocean Trout in Yuzu Sansho Cream Sauce
Soy-Flavored Simmered Ground Chicken
Egg-Topped Garlic Chives and Shiitake Mushrooms
Make Your Own Steamed Chicken Pho
Soy-Simmered Beef and Burdock
Oil Sardine Rice
Tamari-Flavored Beef and Tofu Stew
Chicken and Tofu Hot Pot with Egg
Sansho Ponzu Sauce
Steamed Fava Bean Salad with Sansho
- Net weight: 0.35 oz. | 10 g
- Ingredients: Japanese pepper (sansho)
- Producer: Yamatsu Tsujita
- Origin: Osaka, Japan
Usage & Care
- Store in a cool, dark place. Or, in order to keep its freshness even longer, we suggest you keep the package (tightly-sealed) in freezer and take out the amount to use each time.
- Usually ships out in-stock items within 3 business days of order.
- We use FedEx, USPS Priority Mail, or USPS First Class Mail to ship our products, depending on the size and weight of the package.
- Read about the shipping information and terms in our Customer Service Page.
- Free shipping with purchase of $375 or more! (Within Continental US only. Total purchase amount to qualify excludes free shipping offer items.)
- This item is not available to ship outside of Continental US.
- Please note if this item is included in your order for the shipment outside of Continental US, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to proceed to check out.
- This item is not available to ship outside of the US.
- Please note if this item is included in your order, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to proceed to check out.