Mini Size Donabe Steamer, for Single Serving Steaming, Soup, etc.
This is a multi-purpose donabe steamer, in a very compact size, designed for single serving. You can cook ingredients in the donabe and serves right out of it at the table. With the steam grate, you can quickly steam ingredients. Without the steam grate, you can make a single serving soup, noodle, mini hot pot, and enjoy right out of it. This is a donabe but the bowl can also be used as a donburi bowl for serving, too. Even the lid can also be used as a serving bowl.
Just fill some water in the bowl and set the steam grate. Set the donabe on a gas stove, and once the water starts boiling, arrange whatever you like to steam, to enjoy.
Suggested ingredients: Fresh vegetables, tofu, fish, meat, etc. with your choice of dipping sauce. Dim sum (fresh-made or frozen), or even frozen noodles can cook well and fast.
Soup and Stew
Miso soup, stew, ramen, soba, etc., you can make a quick fix and also use it as a donbri bowl to serve right out of it.
This donabe is compact enough so you can use it for microwave cooking/ reheating.
Because Iga clay is porous and water-absorbent, this donabe can work as a mini fridge. Wet the interior of the donabe once, then spread some ice cubes in the bowl. The donabe gets insulated and keeps the contents cool for extended period of time. Set the grate (or a plate) on top and serve fruits, vegetables, sashimi, etc. for a beautiful presentation.
This donabe can be heated while it's empty, so you can make a small stir-fry or dry-roast ingredients.
For Easy Handling of Hot Steam Grate, tongs are included in the package.
True “Terroir” of Iga
Iga region, where this donabe is made, used to be the bed of Lake Biwa about 4 million years ago. The clay from this region is naturally highly heat-resistant and has been used for open-flame cooking for many hundreds of years. This clay consists of a high level of pre-historic fossilized microorganisms that leave the clay porous when fired. The porous body gives the donabe remarkable heat-retention ability. The donabe gradually builds the heat when it’s heated, then it cools down very slowly after the heat is turned off. This, along with the glaze that promotes the far infrared rays (FIR – the same effect as how the glowing charcoal cook ingredients without direct flame) when it’s heated, allow the donabe to produce a gentle, steady heat that penetrates to the core of each ingredient. The effect is ingredients are cooked evenly with all the flavors sealed inside.
Authentic Iga-yaki pottery by Nagatani-en
Iga-yaki (Iga-style) pottery is one of Japan’s most highly-regarded traditional ceramics and is said to have originated in Iga, Mie-Prefecture in late 7th Century. This donabe is made by Nagatani-en, a leading producer of authentic Iga-yaki pottery since 1832. At Nagatani-en, each donabe is made by hand with care and it takes about 2 weeks to produce an individual donabe. Nagatani-en’s Iga-yaki products have been loved by both professionals and home cooks in Japan.
Your donabe develops its character as it ages
As you use your donabe over and over, it develops character and that’s something to be welcomed.
- The very thin cracks could appear on the surface (glaze) of the donabe. It’s called “kannyu” in Japanese and the cracks run like veins. They are the naturally developed cracks on the glaze and won’t affect the function of the donabe.
- Once you start using the donabe, the bottom part starts to change its color and black spots (like burned spots) could appear. It’s also the part of developing the character and the donabe is safe to use. However, if the bottom part seems to get too black too quickly, the heat you use might be too high. In this case, we suggest that you use the donabe over lower heat level.
All the donabe and Iga-yaki products made by Nagatani-en are hand-crafted with care, so every piece is unique and no two pieces are identical. There are slight variations within the color/ shade, shape/ curve, and patterns, among pieces, and that makes each piece so special. Also under different lighting and angle, the actual color shade and nuance may also appear slightly different from the photos in the product page.
Ideal for single serving.
- Size: 8.25” diameter x 5.1” high (20.5 cm diameter x 13 cm high) – including lid
- Capacity: 0.6 qt (600 ml)
- Weight: 2.6 lbs (1.3 kg)
Origin: Iga, Japan
Included in the package: Donabe (bowl and lid), steam grate, tongs for steam grate, and English instruction sheet.
Usage and Care
- Ideal for gas stove top use. This donabe is not suitable for electric or induction cooktop.
- This donabe can be heated while it’s empty.
- Oven-safe (up to 500℉/ 250℃).
- For microwave use, 700-W or lower power level is suggested.
- Hand wash only.
- Before the first use, this donabe must be seasoned (How to Season Donabe).