Grated mountain yam becomes the nice creamy texture
Iga-yaki skillet, "Toban" (small)
2 as part of a multi-course meal
- 7 oz (200 g) Japanese mountain yam ("yama-imo" or "naga-imo"), shredded
- 2 tablespoons steamed baby sardines ("shirasu")
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon shio-koji (salt-marinated rice koji) or a good pinch of salt
- 1 oz (30 g) Swiss cheese, sliced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- some minced scallion
- In a bowl, mix together shredded yama-imo, shirasu fish, grated garlic, shio-koji (or salt), and 2/3 of cheese.
- Melt butter in Toban over medium-heat.
- Pour in the yama-imo mixture to Toban. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the mixture and finish in the broiler until the surface is nicely browned.
- Garnish with some minced scallion to serve.
Just mix the ingredients and bake in "Toban" with butter. Heat from "Toban" brings out the nice umami flavors from the mixture.
About the measurements used in our recipes
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
1 cup = 240 ml1
inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml