Classic meat sauce with hint of lemony flavor
Soup & Stew Donabe, "Miso-shiru Nabe" (large)
3 - 4
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-small onion, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds, optional
- 1 clove garlic, thinly-sliced
- 1/2 medium carrot, cut into small dice
- 8 oz (240 g) white mushrooms, thinly-sliced
- 1 pound (450 g) ground beef
- 1 3/4 cups (400 ml) crushed tomato (or tomato sauce)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) red wine
- 3 pieces preserved lemon, minced plus 1 teaspoon of its syrup (*each piece is 1/8 of medium-size lemon)
- 1 cube/ packet consommé, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- a pinch of nutmeg powder
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- In Miso-shiru Nabe, sauté the onion and fennel seeds in 1 tablespoon olive oil over moderate heat until the onion is very soft (about 10 minutes). Add the garlic and carrot, and sauté until aromatic. Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté until they are soft.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and add the beef. Sauté until the meat is cooked through. Add the crushed tomato, red wine, preserved lemon with its syrup, consommé cute (optional), bay leaf, oregano, and nutmeg. Cover. As soon as it starts boiling, turn down the heat to simmer. Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes. Skim as necessary.
- Add the soy sauce and a good pinch of black pepper. Adjust the seasoning with a little salt, if necessary. Turn off the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti according to the package’s instructions. Serve into pasta bowls and pour the meat sauce over the spaghetti. Serve immediately. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
Enjoy with al dente spaghetti!
About the measurements used in our recipes
For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
Other conversions (US to metric measures)
1 cup = 240 ml1
inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml