Oil-marinated Smoked Scallops and Shrimp
Easy beautiful appetizer
Donabe smoker, "Ibushi Gin" (large)
4 as an appetizer
- 4 jumbo scallops
- 4 jumbo shrimp
- black pepper
- olive oil
- sliced dry red chili
- tamari soy sauce
Ohter things you need:
- a piece of aluminum foil
- a small handful (about 1/3 oz or 8 g) of smoke chips
- Season both sides of the scallops and shrimp with salt and pepper. Let them rest in refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.
- Pat dry the scallops and shrimp with paper towel.
- Line the bottom of "Ibushi Gin" with a piece of aluminum foil. Spread the smoke chips so that they make a ring shape.
- In "Ibushi Gin", set a middle level grate and place the scallops, and set a top level grate and place the shrimp.
- Set "Ibushi Gin" over high heat. Once the chips start smoking (about 7-8 minutes), cover with lid and fill the rim with water. Continue to heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let "Ibushi Gin" stand for 15 minutes (with lid on).
- Uncover and transfer both the scallops and shrimp to a container. Add a small amount (about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon) of sliced dry red chili, and pour olive oil so that they are almost submerged. Add the Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- About 1-2 hours before serving, take the container out of refrigerator and bring back to a room temperature.
- Divide the scallops and shrimp into individual plates and drizzle some of the remaining olive oil with the sliced chili from the marinade. Drizzle a little amount of soy sauce to serve.
Scallops and shrimp are smoked before they are marinated in oil.
Served with the marinade oil, which hasabsorbed nice smokey flavors.
Serving option: in a large plate.
About the measurements used in our recipes
|For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.|
|1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml|
|Other conversions (US to metric measures)|
|1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml