Plain Brown Rice
For whole grain (unpolished) brown rice
Double-lid donabe rice cooker, "Kamado-san" (3 rice-cup size)
- 3 rice-cups (540 ml) whole short grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 900 ml water
- a pinch of salt
- In a bowl, combine the brown rice and the water. Add a pinch of salt. Let the rice soak for 6-12 hours.
- Transfer the rice with the water to “Kamado-san”. Cover “Kamado-san” with both lids and cook over medium heat for 35-38 minutes. (The steam should start puffing from a hole of the top lid after about 20 minutes of cooking. You can continue to cook for additional 15-18 minutes after it starts puffing.)
- Turn off the heat and let it stand for 30-40 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff the rice.
- Adding a pinch of salt will help reducing bitterness of brown rice.
- Rice-water ratio and cooking time may vary depending on the type of rice. Adjust according to your preference.
- Some types of (partially polished) brown rice can cook in the same way as plain white rice without the extra soaking or cooking time. Please refer to each brown rice package’s information.
About the measurements used in our recipes
|For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.|
|1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml|
|Other conversions (US to metric measures)|
|1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml