Classic-style All-purpose Donabe
Classic-style donabe for many different purposes
This is a very classic-style donabe which you can use for a wide variety of dishes. In Japan, almost every household has at least one classic-style donabe and most commonly use it to cook hot pot (“nabe”) dishes including shabu shabu and yosenabe on tabletop to enjoy with family and friends. The classic-style donabe is also ideal for stewing or braising. You can use it over gas stove top or in the oven. Iga-yaki donabe is known for its durability and perfect for everyday cooking.
Kuro-Raku Deep Body
This donabe has a large capacity with deep bowl. It’s perfect for medium to large group. The handles and lid have unique designs.
True “Terroir” of Iga
Iga region, where this donabe is made, used to be the bed of Lake Biwa about 4 million years ago. The clay from this region is naturally highly heat-resistant and has been used for open-flame cooking for many hundreds of years. This clay consists of a high level of pre-historic fossilized microorganisms that leave the clay porous when fired. The porous body gives the donabe remarkable heat-retention ability. The donabe gradually builds the heat when it’s heated, then it cools down very slowly after the heat is turned off. This, along with the glaze that promotes the far infrared rays (FIR – the same effect as how the glowing charcoal cook ingredients without direct flame) when it’s heated, allow the donabe to produce a gentle, steady heat that penetrates to the core of each ingredient. The effect is ingredients are cooked evenly with all the flavors sealed inside.
Authentic Iga-yaki pottery by Nagatani-en
Iga-yaki (Iga-style) pottery is one of Japan’s most highly-regarded traditional ceramics and is said to have originated in Iga, Mie-Prefecture in late 7th Century. This donabe is made by Nagatani-en, a leading producer of authentic Iga-yaki pottery since 1832. At Nagatani-en, each donabe is made by hand with care and it takes about 2 weeks to produce an individual donabe. Nagatani-en’s Iga-yaki products have been loved by both professionals and home cooks in Japan.
Your donabe develops its character as it ages
As you use your donabe over and over, it develops character and that’s something to be welcomed.
- The very thin cracks could appear on the surface (glaze) of the donabe. It’s called “kannyu” in Japanese and the cracks run like veins. They are the naturally developed cracks on the glaze and won’t affect the function of the donabe.
- Once you start using the donabe, the bottom part starts to change its color and black spots (like burned spots) could appear. It’s also the part of developing the character and the donabe is safe to use. However, if the bottom part seems to get too black too quickly, the heat you use might be too high. In this case, we suggest that you use the donabe over lower heat level.
All the donabe and Iga-yaki products made by Nagatani-en are hand-crafted with care, so every piece is unique and no two pieces are identical. There are slight variations within the color/ shade, shape/ curve, and patterns, among pieces, and that makes each piece so special. Also under different lighting and angle, the actual color shade and nuance may also appear slightly different from the photos in the product page.Ideal for 3 – 6 people
- Size: 13” diameter x 8.1” high (32.5 cm diameter x 20.5 cm high) – including lid
- Capacity: 3.0 qt (3,000 ml)
- Weight: 8.8 lbs (4 kg)
Origin: Iga, Japan
Included in the package: Donabe (bowl and lid) and English instruction sheet.
Usage and Care
- Ideal for gas stove top use. This donabe is not suitable for electric or induction cooktop.
- Oven-safe (up to 500℉/ 250℃). This donabe is not suitable for microwave.
- Hand wash only.
- Before the first use, this donabe must be seasoned (How to Season Donabe).
- Usually ships out in-stock items within 3 business days of order.
- We use FedEx, USPS Priority Mail, or USPS First Class Mail to ship our products, depending on the size and weight of the package.
- Read about the shipping information and terms in our Customer Service Page.
- Free shipping with purchase of $375 or more! (Within Continental US only. Total purchase amount to qualify excludes free shipping offer items.)
- Please note if this item is included in your order for outside of US continental shipment, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to check out.
- This item is not available to ship outside of the US.
- Please note if this item is included in your order for international shipment, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to check out.