Kuro-Ame Large Square PlateSB-36
Iga’s Shiny Kuro-Ame
Kuro-Ame is a deep black glaze, and the shine of this glaze makes the beautiful match with the coarse texture of Iga clay. A work of true craftsmanship.
True “Terroir” of Iga
Iga region, where this pottery is made, used to be the bed of Lake Biwa about 4 million years ago. The clay is coarse and consists of a high level of pre-historic fossilized microorganisms that leave the clay porous when fired. With this effect, when Iga-yaki (Iga-style) pottery is crafted by artisanal hands, it creates the signature wabi-sabi (“unfinished beauty”) look. This exceptional wabi-sabi beauty of Iga-yaki pottery has been praised by pottery lovers in Japan over centuries.
Authentic Iga-yaki pottery by Nagatani-en
Iga-yaki pottery is one of Japan’s most highly-regarded traditional ceramics, and is said to have originated in Iga, Mie-Prefecture in late 7th Century. This product is made by a leading producer of Iga-yaki pottery since 1832. At Nagatani-en, each product is made by hand with care. Nagatani-en’s Iga-yaki products have been loved by both professionals and home cooks in Japan.
Your authentic Iga-yaki pottery develops its character as it ages
Authentic Iga-yaki tableware or pottery can develop its character as you use it over time. The color and texture could change slightly, or tiny crackles ("kannyu") could develop inside. These are all the welcoming characteristics of Iga-yaki's historic wabi-sabi beauty, and we hope you enjoy using this pottery for a very long time.
All the donabe and Iga-yaki products made by Nagatani-en are hand-crafted with care, so every piece is unique and no two pieces are identical. There are slight variations within the color/ shade, shape/ curve, and patterns, among pieces, and that makes each piece so special. Also under different lighting and angle, the actual color shade and nuance may also appear slightly different from the photos in the product page.
- Size: 10.5” x 10.5” x 1” high (27 cm x 27 cm x 2.5 cm high)
- Weight: 2 lb (900 g)
Origin: Iga, Japan
Usage and Care
- This product is microwave-safe. Do not set the product on any other direct heat.
- Hand wash only. Make sure to dry completely before storing. This product is not dishwasher safe.
- Food should not be stored in the product, as the porous clay could absorb the moisture and smell of the contents over time.
- Avoid any sharp temperature change on the product, as it could cause cracking.
- Do not freeze the product, as it might crack.
- Usually ships out in-stock items within 3 business days of order.
- We use FedEx, USPS Priority Mail, or USPS First Class Mail to ship our products, depending on the size and weight of the package.
- Read about the shipping information and terms in our Customer Service Page.
- Free shipping with purchase of $375 or more! (Within Continental US only. Total purchase amount to qualify excludes free shipping offer items.)
- Please note if this item is included in your order for outside of US continental shipment, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to check out.
- This item is not available to ship outside of the US.
- Please note if this item is included in your order for international shipment, shipping method or price won't show in the check out page, and you won't be able to check out.