Hechimon - One-of-a-Kind Collection from Shigaraki, Japan
Marui Seito is a third generation Shigaraki-yaki (Shigaraki ware) producer based in the town of Shigaraki in Shiga Prefecture. At Marui Seito, their craftsmen are committed to creating a wide range of pottery pieces with unremitting efforts to meet the needs of people since the Taisho period. Hechimon is Marui Seito's signature Shigaraki-yaki tableware collection. The name, Hechimon, is derived from the Japanese word used by the Shigaraki-yaki craftsmen for "one of a kind" or unique things. Just as no two people are the same, no two Shigaraki-yaki pieces will be identical. Embracing various shapes and patterns that both nature and craftsmen bring about, the name, Hechimon, represents the craftsmen's playfulness and truthfulness to their products.
Shigaraki-Yaki - One of the Six Ancient Kilns in Japan
Situated right below Lake Biwa and close to Kyoto, Shigaraki is one of the oldest pottery producing places in Japan, and its pottery producing history dates back over 1,200 years. Shigaraki-yaki (Shigaraki ware) is known as one of the six ancient kilns in Japan, and in 1976 Shigaraki-yaki was designated as one of Japan’s Traditional Handicrafts by the Japanese government.
Hechimon Aosai-Yu Bowl and Plate
This set is a unique and versatile multi-purpose bowl and plate. You can use them together as a cup and saucer for a drink, soup, etc., or use them separately to serve any type of dish - stew, salad, dessert, drink, etc. Aosai-Yu is an elegant turquoise blue glaze which fades into a slightly light color as it reaches the top. Each piece, being handmade, is unique to itself.
Hechimon Bowl and Plate set is also available in Kushime-Sumiguro design.
- Size: (Bowl) 4” diameter x 3.1” high (10 cm diameter x 8 cm high)
(Plate) 5.5" (14 cm) diameter
- Capacity: 12 fl.oz (350 ml)
- Weight: 13 oz (355 g) together, 6 oz (160 g) plate only, 7 oz (195 g) bowl only
Producer: Marui Seito
Origin: Shigaraki, Shiga, Japan
Usage and Care
- This product is not microwave-safe. Do not set the product on any other direct heat.
- Hand wash only. Make sure to dry completely before storing. This product is not dishwasher safe.
- Food should not be stored in the product, as the porous clay could absorb the moisture and smell of the contents over time.
- Avoid any sharp temperature change on the product, as it could cause cracking.
- Do not freeze the product, as it might crack.