Classic-style All-purpose DonabeProduct#
- Usually ships within 3 business days.
- Free shipping with purchase of $375 or more! (within Continental US only)
- Our minimum order is $35.
Share this Product
Kyoto-style Shallow Donabe. Ideal for 3 - 4 people.
- Size: 30 cm (12") x W36 cm (14.5") – incl. handles x H17.5 cm (7")
- Capacity: 1,800 ml (about 7 cups)
- Weight: 2.8 kg (about 6.5 lbs)
Classic Kyoto-style Iga-yaki Donabe, "Kyoto Ame-yu"
Authentic Iga-Yaki pottery, by Nagatani-en from Iga, Japan.
Iga-yaki is one of Japan’s most highly-regarded traditional ceramics, which is said to have originated in Iga, Mie-Prefecture in late 7th Century. Nagatani-en, founded in 1832, is the leading producer of Iga-yaki potteries. Nagatani-en’s product has been loved by both professional chefs and home cooks.
Classic Kyoto-style shallow donabe
This all-purpose Iga-yaki donabe has the unique wide shallow body. It’s a typical Kyoto-style, in which you can make the quick stew, or braising, as well as popular hot pot dishes including shabu shabu and sukiyaki on tabletop with your family and friends. The shallow wide body of the porous Iga clay can heat the broth quickly and it will retain the heat for a long time. Because Iga clay has the higher heat-resistance, you can cook with it over gas range or in the oven.
The shallow inner body has the beautiful swirl design with the rustic shiny touch.
"Wabi-sabi" rustic beauty
The glaze on the surface has the classic rustic Iga-yaki look. The bumps and spots which sometimes look like unfinished or small cracks are what we appreciate as "Wabi-sabi"…esthetic of incomplete or non-perfect character.
General Product Information
- Clay Pot (Ceramic)
- Made by Nagatani-en
- Origin: Iga, Japan
- The parts consist of the skillet (bottom part) metal grate, and the lid
- The package also includes an English instruction sheet
- Not suitable for dishwasher