My favorite autumn donabe rice dish
Donabe steam-roaster, "Tochinsai" (large)
4 - 5 as part of a multi-course meal
For the chicken
- 2 medium to medium-large chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons shio-koji (can be substituted with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt)
- 2 scallions (green part only)
- 1 knob ginger, thinly-sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Chinese rice wine, or sake
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) cooking broth from the above
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice from 1 small lemon
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 scallions (white part only)
- 1 teaspoon thinly-sliced dry red chili or chili flakes
- salt (optional)
- 1 medium-size Japanese sweet potato (“satsuma-imo”), peeled and sliced into 1/4” (6 mm) thick, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes and drained
- 5 oz (150 g) small shiitake mushrooms, sliced into half
- some chopped cilantro for garnish
- Marinade the chicken in shio-koji for 2-3 hours (overnight will be even better).
- Fill water in the lid for at least 1 minute and drain.
- In the skillet of “Tochinsai” (with no grate), spread the green part of scallions, followed by the sliced ginger and garlic (“aromatics”). Add Chinese rice wine and water.
- Lightly wipe off the marinade from the chicken breasts and place on top of the aromatics.
- Cover with lid and cook in the microwave for 6-7 minutes or until just cooked through. Let it rest with the cover on for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cover with foil. Set aside.
- Measure 1/2 cup (120 ml) of cooking broth and transfer to a bowl. (You can use the remaining broth for other purposes…it taste so good on it’s own, too.) Discard the scallion, ginger and garlic.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce and stir together. Adjust the seasoning with salt, if necessary. Set aside.
- Rinse the skillet of “Tochinsai” and place grate (black-side up). Arrange the sliced satsuma-imo on the grate. Add the shiitake mushrooms.
- Cover with lid and cook in the microwave for 4-5 minutes or until everything is cooked through.
- In a large serving plate, arrange the satsuma-imo slices to form a circle. Arrange the shiitake mushrooms around the yam sliced.
- Slice the chicken and arrange on top of the satsuma-imo. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with the sauce on the side.
- Addition of sweet rice (also called "mochi rice") gives the nice sticky texture to the dish. If you don’t have sweet rice, you can make the dish only with the short grain rice (so use 2 rice-cups of short grain rice).
About the measurements used in our recipes
For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
Other conversions (US to metric measures)
1 cup = 240 ml1
inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml