Rosemary gives a nice accent to this dish
Donabe steam-roaster, "Tochinsai"
- 3 slices (about 10 oz or 300 g) salmon filets
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon raw brown sugar
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 wedges lemon
- In a shallow bowl, arrange the salmon filets in one layer.
- Whisk together the sake, soy sauce, mirin, and sugar, and pour over the salmon.
- Arrange rosemary sprigs on top of the salmon filets. Cover tightly and marinade for 30 minutes.
- Set a grate (black-side up) in "Tochinsai". Gently remove the salmon filets from the marinade and place on the grate. Also remove the rosemary from the marinade and arrange on top of the salmon.
- Cover with lid and cook in microwave for 3 minutes (700-watt power) or until the salmon is cooked through.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- The suggested cooking time is for 700-watt microwave. For higher cooking power microwave, cook for less time.
- Iga-yaki donabe has remarkable heat-retention ability, so after removing it from the microwave, you can use the carry-over heat to cook ingredients further.
About the measurements used in our recipes
For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.
- 1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml
Other conversions (US to metric measures)
1 cup = 240 ml1
inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml