Extra Umami Preserved Lemon
With "moshio" seasalt, it's a rich seasoning for a wide variety of donabe dishes
- 1 pound (450 g) lemon, cut into 8 pieces, seeded
- 2 1/2 oz (70 g) "moshio" seaweed salt or regular sea salt (salt should be about 15% of lemon by weight)
- In a sterilized jar, combine the lemon and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and store at a dark cool space for 4 weeks.
- Meanwhile, shake the jar upside down every few days for even distribution of the salt for fermentation.
- Once the fermentation is done, the content becomes like non-sweet lemon marmalade with salty syrup.
Get the ingredients ready. (I doubled the recipe amount.)
All the ingredients are mixed in a jar.
This is after 6 months. So nicely fermented and syrupy.
- Preserved lemon can keep for over a year (some people say 3 years) at a dark cool storage.
About the measurements used in our recipes
|For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.|
|1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml|
|Other conversions (US to metric measures)|
|1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml