Grated mountain yam becomes the nice creamy texture
Iga-yaki skillet, "Toban" (small)
2 as part of a multi-course meal
- 7 oz (200 g) Japanese mountain yam ("yama-imo" or "naga-imo"), shredded
- 2 tablespoons steamed baby sardines ("shirasu")
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon shio-koji (salt-marinated rice koji) or a good pinch of salt
- 1 oz (30 g) Swiss cheese, sliced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- some minced scallion
- In a bowl, mix together shredded yama-imo, shirasu fish, grated garlic, shio-koji (or salt), and 2/3 of cheese.
- Melt butter in Toban over medium-heat.
- Pour in the yama-imo mixture to Toban. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the mixture and finish in the broiler until the surface is nicely browned.
- Garnish with some minced scallion to serve.
Just mix the ingredients and bake in "Toban" with butter. Heat from "Toban" brings out the nice umami flavors from the mixture.