Scallops & Mushrooms in Miso-Butter Sauce
Rich and savory "izakaya" style dish
Donabe steam-roaster, "Tochinsai" (large)
2-3 as part of a multi-course meal
- 4 jumbo scallops, sliced into half horizontally
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) mixed mushrooms (such as shiitake, shimeji, eryingi), cut into small size
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoons raw brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced yuzu rind (can be substituted with lemon rind)
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- some minced scallion for garnish
- Season both sides of sliced scallops with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the yuzu-miso sauce. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in the skillet of "Tochinsai" over medium-high heat. Add the scallops and cook both sides until light golden (don’t cook them through). Transfer the scallops to a plate.
- Turn down the heat to medium. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté until aromatic (about 1 minute).
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for a minute. Add the scallops back and spread over the mushrooms.
- Pour the yuzu-miso sauce over. Place the butter in the center.
- Cover and let them cook for 2-3 minutes or until everything is cooked through. Stir.
- Remove from the heat. Uncover and sprinkle some scallion for garnish. Serve immediately.
After scallops are sautéed, mushrooms are sautéed with ginger and garlic.
Finish with yuzu-miso sauce and butter. Once everything is cooked, stir and garnish with scallion.
About the measurements used in our recipes
|For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.|
|1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml|
|Other conversions (US to metric measures)|
|1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml