Steamed Shio-koji Chicken with Mushrooms
Whole party dish from one Tochinsai!
Donabe steam-roaster, "Tochinsai" (large)
4-5 as part of a multi-course meal
IngredientsFor the chicken
- 2 medium to medium-large chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons shio-koji (can be substituted with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt)
- 2 scallions (green part only)
- 1 knob ginger, thinly-sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Chinese rice wine, or sake
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) cooking broth from the above
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice from 1 small lemon
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 scallions (white part only)
- 1 teaspoon thinly-sliced dry red chili or chili flakes
- salt (optional)
- 1 medium-size Japanese sweet potato (“satsuma-imo”), peeled and sliced into 1/4” (6 mm) thick, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes and drained
- 5 oz (150 g) small shiitake mushrooms, sliced into half
- some chopped cilantro for garnish
- Marinade the chicken in shio-koji for 2-3 hours (overnight will be even better).
- Fill water in the lid for at least 1 minute and drain.
- In the skillet of “Tochinsai” (with no grate), spread the green part of scallions, followed by the sliced ginger and garlic (“aromatics”). Add Chinese rice wine and water.
- Lightly wipe off the marinade from the chicken breasts and place on top of the aromatics.
- Cover with lid and cook in the microwave for 6-7 minutes or until just cooked through. Let it rest with the cover on for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cover with foil. Set aside.
- Measure 1/2 cup (120 ml) of cooking broth and transfer to a bowl. (You can use the remaining broth for other purposes…it taste so good on it’s own, too.) Discard the scallion, ginger and garlic.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce and stir together. Adjust the seasoning with salt, if necessary. Set aside.
- Rinse the skillet of “Tochinsai” and place grate (black-side up). Arrange the sliced satsuma-imo on the grate. Add the shiitake mushrooms.
- Cover with lid and cook in the microwave for 4-5 minutes or until everything is cooked through.
- In a large serving plate, arrange the satsuma-imo slices to form a circle. Arrange the shiitake mushrooms around the yam sliced.
- Slice the chicken and arrange on top of the satsuma-imo. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with the sauce on the side.
- The suggested cooking time is for 700-watt microwave. For higher cooking power microwave, cook for less time.
About the measurements used in our recipes
|For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.|
|1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml|
|Other conversions (US to metric measures)|
|1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml