Steam-roasted Curry Chicken Breast
Donabe steam-roaster, "Tochinsai"
2 as an appetizer
- 8 oz (240g) chicken breast
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder (or 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons light color soy sauce ("usukuchi shoyu")
- some julienned scallion for garnish
- optional condiments: lemon wedges, greek yogurt, etc.
- In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Put chicken breasts in a re-sealable plastic bag and add the marinade. Make sure the marinade coats the chicken evenly. Tightly seal the bag and refrigerate for 2-3 hours (or at least 30 minutes). Take the bag out of refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- Fill water in the lid for at least 1 minute and drain.
- Remove the chicken from the bag. (Discard the marinade.) Set a grate (black-side up) in "Tochinsai", and place the chicken on the grate.
- Cover with lid, and cook in the microwave for 5-6 minutes or until it is just cooked through. Let it rest (with the lid on) for 2-3 minutes.
- Slice the chicken and serve with some scallion slices.
- The suggested cooking time is for 700-watt microwave. For higher cooking power microwave, cook for less time.
- You can pre-heat the heating grate (black-side up) in “Tochinsai” (with no lid) for 2-3 minutes in microwave for extra sizzling effect for the chicken.
About the measurements used in our recipes
|For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.|
|1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml|
|Other conversions (US to metric measures)|
|1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml