Smoked Olive Oil, Salt, and Pepper
Gourmet smoked seasonings at home
Donabe Smoker, "Ibushi Gin" (large)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons each black pepper corns, Szechuan pepper corns, and sea salt
Ohter things you need:
- a piece of aluminum foil
- a small handful (about 1/3 oz or 8 g) of smoke chips
- Set the olive oil in a shallow bowl which can fit the middle rack of “Ibushi Gin”. Set each peppers and salt in a small saucer.
- Line the bottom of "Ibushi Gin" with a piece of aluminum foil. Spread the smoke chips so that they make a ring shape. Make sure the foil is tightly attached to the bottom.
- Set "Ibushi Gin" (with no lid) over high heat. Wait until the chips starts smoking (about 7-8 minutes).
- Set the mid-tier rack and carefully place the olive oil.
- Set the top-tier rack and place the peppers and salt.
- Cover with lid and pour water into the rim surrounding the lid. Continue to heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest (with lid on) for 30 minutes.
After smoking, they turn nicely aromatic.
Black pepper and Szechuan pepper are ground after being smoked.
About the measurements used in our recipes
|For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.|
|1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml|
|Other conversions (US to metric measures)|
|1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml