Smoked Chinese-style Cold Noodles
Smoked Hiyashi Chuka
Smoked toppings gives a tasty upgrade to the popular summer dish
Donabe smoker, "Ibushi Gin" (large)
- 2 strips chicken tender
- 1 teaspoon shio-koji or 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 ear corn
- 6 medium okra
- 2 small lime wedges
- 1 radish, thinly-sliced
- some chopped cilantro
- some pickled ginger ("beni shoga")
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons raw brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or Japanese black vinegar ("kurozu")
- 1 tablespoon yuzu juice or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 servings Chinese noodles
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons roasted white sesame seeds
Other thins you need:
- a piece of aluminum foil
- a small handful (about 1/3 oz or 8 g) of smoke chips
- Marinate the chicken in shio-koji for a few hours (or at least 30 minutes). Gently wipe off the marinade with paper towel. Set aside.
- Grill the corn and okra until they are barely cooked. Split the corn cub in half by knife. Set aside.
- Boil the eggs until just done. Peel and pat dry with paper towel. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Line the bottom of "Ibushi Gin" with a piece of aluminum foil. Spread the smoke chips so that they make a ring shape. Make sure the foil is tightly attached to the bottom.
- Set the ingredients on the racks in “Ibushi Gin” in the order of the chicken tender (bottom rack), eggs (middle rack), and corn and okra (top rack).
- Set "Ibushi Gin" (with no lid) over high heat. Wait until the chips starts smoking (about 7-8 minutes).
- Cover with lid and pour water into the rim surrounding the lid. Continue to heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest (with lid on) for 15 minutes.
- Shred the chicken by hand. Cut the eggs in half. Also cut the okra in half at an angle. Cut the corn kernels from the cob. Set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to the package’s instructions. Rinse in cold water and drain well.
- Divide the noodles into two bowls. For each, drizzle 1 teaspoon sesame oil and sprinkle 1 teaspoon sesame seeds and toss.
- Decorate the noodles with all the smoked ingredients, lime, radish, cilantro, and pickled ginger. Pour about 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the sauce over each bowl and serve.
Smoked ingredients are ready to be cut (picture above are for 4 servings)
All the toppings are ready before the noodles were cooked.
About the measurements used in our recipes
|For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.|
|1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml|
|Other conversions (US to metric measures)|
|1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml