Egg-topped Nira & Shiitake
Nira Shiitake Tamago-toji
Quick izakaya-style dish
Classic-style donabe (small)
2 as a side dish
- 1 1/4 C (300 ml) dashi
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mirin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons usukuchi shoyu (light-color soy sauce)
- 2 oz (50 g) nira (garlic chives), cut into 1" (about 3 cm) pieces
- 2 to 3 medium shiitake, trimmed and thinly-sliced
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ground sansho (optional)
- In the donabe, combine the dashi, sake, mirin, and usukuchi shoyu, and bring to a simmer over medium-heat.
- Add the nira and shiitake, and bring back to simmer.
- Gently drizzle in the eggs. Cover with lid and turn off the heat. Let it sit for 1 to 2 minutes or until the egg is cooked to your desired consistency.
- Serve into individual bowls at the table with a sprinkle of sansho, if you like.
About the measurements used in our recipes
|For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.|
|1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml|
|Other conversions (US to metric measures)|
|1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml