Black Bean Rice Salad
Great side for summer BBQ
Double-lid donabe rice cooker, "Kamado-san" (3 rice-cup size)
- 2 rice-cups (360 ml) short grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 cups (360 ml) water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2/3 can (300 g) black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ each medium-size yellow and orange bell peppers, finely diced
- ¼ medium-size red onion, minced
- 1 knob ginger, sliced into thin shreds
- 3 tablespoons almond, roasted
- ½ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped (save some for garnish)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
- some thinly sliced dry red chili
- some lemon wedges
- In "Kamado-san", combine the rice and water, and cook according to the basic plain rice instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Set aside.
- Once the rice is ready, pour the vinaigrette over the rice and fluff with a rice paddle until the rice is thoroughly coated with the vinaigrette.
- Add the black beans, bell peppers, red onion, ginger and cilantro. Fluff again.
- Garnish with the remaining cilantro, scallion, sliced dry red chili. Serve with the lemon wedges on the side.
- Option1: Add some chopped slow-roasted tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes for enhanced natural "umami" flavors for the dish. You could also cook the rice in chicken or vegetable stock, instead of water, for extra enhanced flavor.
- Option2: Make the brown rice and mix with other cooked grains (such as quinoa and millet) for a multi-grain version. (Depending on how much extra grain you are adding, increase the amount of vinaigrette accordingly.)
Rice salad, served in "Kamado-san"
Brown rice, multi-grains + slow roasted tomato version
About the measurements used in our recipes
|For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.|
|1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml|
|Other conversions (US to metric measures)|
|1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml