Steam-roasted “Shichimi” Salmon
Simple seasoning, wonderful flavors
Donabe steam-roaster, "Tochinsai" (large)
- 10 oz (300 g) salmon steak (about 3/4" thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 to 1 teaspoon shichimi togarashi ("shichimi pepper" – Japanese 7-spice pepper)
- a couple of lemon wedges
- Season both sides of the salmon with the salt and shichimi togarashi.
- Fill water in the lid for at least 1 minute and drain.
- Set a grate (black-side up) in "Tochinsai", and place the salmon on the grate.
- Cover with lid, and cook in the microwave for 4-5 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through.
- Let it rest with the lid on for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- The suggested cooking time is for 700-watt microwave. For higher cooking power microwave, cook for less time.
- Iga-yaki donabe has remarkable heat-retention ability, so after removing it from the microwave, you can use the carry-over heat to cook ingredients further.
About the measurements used in our recipes
|For rice measurement, traditional Japanese rice measurement is used.|
|1 rice-cup = 3/4 US cup = 180 ml|
|Other conversions (US to metric measures)|
|1 cup = 240 ml
1 inch (1") = 2.5 cm
1 ounce (1 oz) = 30 ml